Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Dark Side a/k/a Pregnancy Forums | Daisy, Just Daisy

A few weeks ago I mentioned that if you are pregnant and you download any app to use to track your pregnancy (and get your weekly produce size comparisons*) you are automatically enrolled in a ?pregnancy forum? of women who are due in the same month as you. Ninety percent of the conversations in these forums are laughable/unimportant/silly but I scroll through every few days and read any threads that have caught my eye. The reality of the situation is most of these forums are filled with grumpy, hormonal, emotional women who often make poor word choices or interesting ?factual? statements and things tend to get heated really fast.

Topics that fill the boards on a regular basis that are best to avoid by anyone with a rational mind include but are not limited to breastfeeding, bottle feeding, vaccinations, circumcision, home birth, epidurals, baby registries, c-sections, OTC medication during pregnancy, and of course, baby showers. (Baby shower discussions bring out the worst in humanity, LET ME JUST TELL YOU.)

In case you think I?m exaggerating about these forums, let me just share this gem: last week women in ?my? pregnancy forum were seriously?freaking out?over the ?Obamacare? mandate that required their newborn to be microchipped.

Yeah I?ll let you ponder that one for awhile. But as someone who has read the entire health care reform law from front to back more than once, I pinky swear, there are?no?microchipping mandates. I bet the woman in my forum who is having a home birth in order to skip the microchipping is going to be rather annoyed when she discovers her plans were for nothing.

Anyway, this brings me to my latest ?you have got to be screwing with me? moment. I?ll describe the scenario:

- Woman on pregnancy forum has stomach flu, posts thread looking for comfort/sympathy. Mentions that she cannot believe that this is the year she finally got a flu shot and now she has the flu! So unfair! Those vaccines are a real rip off!

Mind. Exploded.

You don?t have to like the flu shot. You don?t have to get the flu shot. I don?t care if you hate the flu shot and refuse to get one and think it is full of syrup and pixie dust. But the ?stomach flu? is not the influenza and I thought all rational, adult humans knew the flu shot protected you against the influenza, the aches and pains and fever and stuffy nose and wah wah wah flu. Not a stomach virus that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE once coined the ?stomach flu? and now somehow people think they are related? WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?

*Speaking of weekly produce size comparisons, please confirm the following produce trajectory makes no sense at all:

- Week 25, eggplant

- Week 26, cucumber

- Week 27, head of cauliflower

THAT IS NOT LOGICAL PROGRESSION OF A GROWING ANYTHING, MUCH LESS A BABY.

?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Source: http://daisyjd.com/index.php/2012/11/the-dark-side-aka-forums/

rpi dst friends with kids pacific standard time northern mariana islands summer time coolio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.